Monday, November 5, 2018

10 Minutes

A dude I know keeps saying all it takes is 10 minutes a day to keep working the writing muscle. Ten minutes. I guess I’m on 30 seconds. I’ve been putting it off and saying, “not today” and giving myself shit the entire time. What does it really take? Why can’t we motivate ourselves to do the shit we know we 1) have to do, and 2) what we WANT to do? I actually like doing this. I like performing and I like writing. And yeah, I’m just free flowing and throwing it up here but it doesn’t matter how shitty or great or amazingly awful it is. I fucking did it. And if any of you pay attention to me whatsoever, you’ll notice I haven’t done a lot of writing over the last few years, let alone hardly at all over the last year. And most of you, because I’m lazy or who the fuck knows, haven’t read a single word I’ve written into a screenplay. I haven’t drafted properly and I haven’t worked to produce somehow, some way the crazy ideas stirring around in this head. People seem to like some of them when I bring them up in elevator-type pitches. Some more than others, but pretty consistently across the board unless people are bullshitting me. But there’s only one way to find that out. Fucking produce.

5 minutes.

There are distractions and there are more distractions. One after the other. There are piles of shit that was a snail’s slog of disgusting adolescent mess I left behind me that I just left back here in New York to desperately go to Denver to hang one more time with the man I didn’t take enough inspiration from while he was alive. And now he is gone. My dad has passed and all I can do is be thankful I got to soak him up as much as I did before he anything but quietly went into the sunset. I can now take all the positivity he left me and the support he gave me while cancer was eating away at him to make myself a person not only I am proud of but one he would have been overly thrilled to see. He won’t be able to in the flesh, but goddamn it, I have to do what I can to force myself to practice and work every muscle I believe I am talented at. And that starts here.

10 minutes. Peace.


No comments:

Post a Comment